Ever found yourself pondering, “What career is right for me?” Trust me, you’re in good company. My career path hasn’t been straightforward. I started with dreams of being a pilot and studying molecular biology. Then I tried consulting, event management, and now online marketing. It’s a journey that taught me the importance of self-discovery, resilience, and the willingness to embrace change. But hey, isn’t that the spice of life?
Finding your career is not a “yes” or “no” question – it’s a question that is based on your deepest inner self.
If you already have a job you keep asking: Should I quit my job?
What Career Should I Do? From Pilot Dreams to Online Marketing
As a kid, I was captivated by the idea of being a pilot. The sky seemed like the ultimate frontier. But as I grew, so did my interests, and soon the pilot dream was a distant memory. I found myself in the world of molecular biology – fascinating, yet it didn’t quite click. Sounds familiar? It’s like standing at a crossroads with too many signs, right?
The Road Less Travelled:
- Molecular Biology: A degree I obtained but never really used.
- Consulting: A field I entered by chance, not by choice.
- Event Management: My entrepreneurial chapter, full of learning curves.
- Online Marketing: Where I finally found my stride.
Reconnecting with My Intuition
There came a point when I realized I was disconnected from my true self. Ever been there? It’s like wearing a mask that doesn’t fit. The journey back to self-awareness wasn’t overnight. It was a gradual process of unlearning, relearning, and most importantly, listening.
Embarking on a Journey of Self-Discovery:
- Philosophy: Delving into the wisdom of the ages.
- Self-Help Books: Finding guidance in the experiences of others.
- Intuition: Learning to trust that inner voice, that gut feeling.
If you are unsure, you can even make ChatGPT your mentor and helper.
Balancing Heart and Mind in Career Decisions
Choosing a career path often feels like a tug-of-war between heart and mind. My pivotal moment came when my intuition quietly told me, “This chapter is over. Time for a new one.” Despite enjoying my job and the people I worked with, I knew it was time to let go. Scary? Absolutely. Necessary? Undoubtedly.
The Dance of Decision-Making:
- Intuition: It nudged me to leave a comfortable job.
- Rationality: Used to evaluate and explore new opportunities.
- Iteration: A cycle of learning, applying, and evolving.
How Short Term Goals Lead to Long Term Career Success
I’ve learned that setting long-term goals too specifically can sometimes be limiting. Instead, I have bigger goals: being happy, taking care of my family, and making a difference. The specifics? They have a way of figuring themselves out.
Broad Goals for a Broad Life:
- Living Satisfied: Finding joy in the everyday.
- Family First: Ensuring their well-being and happiness.
- Making a Difference: Leaving a positive imprint on the world.
Finding Your Path – Embrace Your Inner Guidance
So, what should your career be? That’s a question only you can answer. Remember, it’s perfectly fine not to have a clear answer right away. Life is a journey of exploration and discovery. Embrace the uncertainty, listen to your heart, and be open to where your path leads. Your career is more than just a job. It shows your journey, growth, and unique contribution to the world.
- Embrace Uncertainty: It’s where growth happens.
- Listen to Your Heart: Your intuition is your best guide.
- Be Open to Change: Life’s most exciting moments come from the unexpected.